Begin an Apprenticeship
high school diploma/GED or no high school diploma/GED usually needed
What They Do
Set up, operate, or tend woodworking machines, such as drill presses, lathes, shapers, routers, sanders, planers, and wood nailing machines. May operate CNC equipment.
- Set up, program, operate, or tend computerized or manual woodworking machines, such as drill presses, lathes, shapers, routers, sanders, planers, or wood-nailing machines.
- Examine finished workpieces for smoothness, shape, angle, depth-of-cut, or conformity to specifications and verify dimensions, visually and using hands, rules, calipers, templates, or gauges.
- Start machines, adjust controls, and make trial cuts to ensure that machinery is operating properly.
- keeping track of how well people and/or groups are doing in order to make improvements
- talking to others
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
- Hand and Finger Use
- hold or move items with your hands
- keep your arm or hand steady
- quickly change the controls of a machine, car, truck or boat
- use your arms and/or legs together while sitting, standing, or lying down